Australia’s National Indigenous Music Awards (NIMA) have announced the finalists in the running for 2011′s accolades.
This year is the first time the event goes national after its first seven years had purely focused on the Northern Territory.
Song of the Year:
- Diamonds on the Water, Stiff Gins
- September Song, Leah Flanagan
- Beggars, The Medics
- Calling Your Name, Frank Yamma
- Gathu Mawala, Gurrumul Yunupingu
- Mala Rrakala, Gurrumul Yunupingu
Album of the Year:
- Nirvana Nights, Leah Flanagan
- Malk, Saltwater Band
- Rrakala, Gurrumul Yunupingu
- Get em girls, Jessica Mauboy
- Country Man, Frank Yamma
Act of the Year:
- Jessica Mauboy
- Gurrumul Yunupingu
- Dan Sultan
A full list of finalists can be found here.
Watch the extraordinary Gurrumul Yunupingu, singing in the Yolngu language.